When my grandma was first diagnosed with Leukemia, my sisters and I all worked to fold her 1,000 paper cranes hoping they would provide her with hope and strength. When she died, we were able to bury some of the cranes with her. Paper Cranes have since been a very special symbol in our family.
We just finished folding another 1,000 Paper Cranes to offer hope and courage my DH's mom who was recently diagnosed with a rare form of Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She was put in the hospital about 4 weeks ago to undergo Chemotherapy and has been doing pretty good so far. In the middle of her hospital stay we took 250 of the cranes and hung them in her room while she was out for the day.

This past weekend she was able to come home from the hospital between Chemo cycles. We took the opportunity to sneak into their house and hang all 1,000 cranes before she got home.


It is so neat to be able to re-create an experience that touched my life so much the first time. It makes me feel so close to my Grandma. I know she is happy to know that someone else will find comfort and joy in these special Cranes. I hope these Cranes help make my DH's mom feel just a little bit better and help her to feel of our love.
I wish I could share this same gift to all of you who are struggling just like I am in the long hard journey to building our families! If you see a paper crane I hope you can feel its power of hope and love and comfort!

13 comments:
I feel the strength of your gesture already! What a wonderful practice! I hope they send you good luck and blessings :-)
happy ICLW!
How sweet!! I love that!
Good luck with your next cycle!
ICLW
How awesome is that? Go you and your family.
Keeping your mother-in-law in our prayers.
That is just so beautiful...and touching.
That is so awesome! I love it
so beautiful! i hope she gets well soon. it's obvious she's loved!
That's so beautiful, what a great thing to do. I'm sure it will lift her spirits and show her how much you guys love her.
Beautiful!!!
That is just beautiful!
So beautiful it makes my chest tight and my eyes tear. When I was a little girl I read "Sadako and the thousand paper cranes" and learned the significance and how to fold. Such a wonderful gesture :-)
I hope your Mother in Law gets well soon!
Happy ICLW!
wow. tearing up. such a powerful gesture.
*smiles* I bet she loved it when she came back to her room and saw all the cranes. They look so great hung up. What a great tradition. Are they hard to fold?
Thank you all! Your comments are so touching! The cranes aren't too hard to fold, and you get pretty fast after a couple!
Post a Comment