6.18.2009

BBT - WTF!

Since I am just waiting out this cycle so I can start Clomid, I have pretty much just figured it doesn't really count. We have already determined that I am not ovulating and with out an egg there is no chance of a baby. I have still been tracking my temp anyway, but I haven't been doing the OPK this cycle. This morning my temp jumped to 96.68 from the 96.12 -96.34 it had been at since my cycle started. I am on CD19 today, but since I am forcing periods each cycle I don't know what my ovulation day should be if I were to in fact ovulate. Everything I have read about BBT says that it can only be used to show that you did in fact ovulate, not used to predict it like the OPK. So now I am wondering if this spike in temp does in fact mean that ovulation occurred, when would we have needed to BD to have a chance at conception. I am 99% sure it is a long shot, but the 1% of hope wants to believe. I guess I will have to get on Dr. G oogle and see what I can find out. If anyone is even reading this and has any ideas let me know.

5 comments:

Finn's Mom said...

Hello and welcome to the blogosphere!

I think your temp spike above "coverline" (the line beneath which all your previous cycle temps fall) definitely confirms that you O'ed on CD18. Which is a bummer that you may have missed it, but good news that you did seem to O naturally. I would BD asap today (grab DH and throw him down as soon as you get home ;) because while your window is usually 12-24 hours, you may have O'ed later in the day yesterday, so you still have a chance.

Have you read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"? It's the best IF book out there and will be alot more helpful than Dr. Goo.gle. Two other methods of pre-determining O (besides those pricey OPKs) would be checking your cervical mucus and the position of your cervix. It's amazingly accurate.

Also, do you temp on Fertility Friend? It's a free online charting site, that will help you pinpoint O.

Anyway, whew! Hope that helps!

Scrambled Egg said...

I would echo Taking Charge of your Fertility and utilizing Fertility Friend, at least to get some more information (it's hard not to be obsessed!) I wouldn't take one higher temperature as ovulation--many things besides ovulation can give small changes to the BBT, and really to confirm ovulation, you need to see consistent rise above your cover line--not just one day. Did you have other physical symptoms that made you thing ovulation? I agree--BD today as a just in case, but continue taking your temps. Hope that helps!!!
ICLW

Kim said...

Hi and welcome! I am here form the Ballroom. I third Taking Charge of your Fertility and Fertility Friend. Were your temps on the next two or three days still up? I would certainly BD just in case...or just for fun ;)

Anonymous said...

Here from LFCA!

If your temp stays up for three consecutive days over coverline, that confirms ovulation. Are you charting your cervical mucus? That is a great way to tell your peak day, which usually coincides exactly with ovulation. I see now that a couple other commenters pointed out the same thing :).
I do agree about fertility friend - after a couple cycles, they start anticipating your fertile times based on your previous ovulation patterns, which is nice.

Welcome to blogging :)

Baby Hungry said...

Thanks everyone. It feels so good that there are people out there who want to help. This community is great!

I should have known it was some kind of fluke, because my temp went back down and is back to being all over the place. I am defiantly going to look into Taking Charge of your Fertility to help me feel like I know a little more. I have looked into Fertility Friend, but I don't have periods unless I take Provera so I don't really have cycle numbers to put in. I will have to look at it again. Thanks again! You guys are great!

Cortney